We are a statewide nonprofit organization established in 1983 that advocates on behalf persons with intellectual and other developmental disabilities, and on behalf of their families and guardians.
COVID-19 vaccines are on the way for DDS group homes and developmental centers
Information about vaccines in the DDS system is now available on the state’s Mass.gov website. Go to COVID-19 Vaccinations for Congregate-Care Settings. You can also visit our COVID-19 Information Page.
Our January 2021 special issue of The COFAR Voice on COVID-19 is here
Please check out our special issue of the VOICE, with articles on:
- The slow response of the administration to the COVID crisis, and questions about what the pandemic portends for the future of DDS care
- How a mother is dealing not only with separation requirements during the pandemic, but is fighting to keep her co-guardianship of her son
- Vaccines are coming, but the timing is uncertain for residents and staff in group homes
- How confusion continues to hamper visitation during the pandemic
- How the administration dragged its feet on testing of staff for COVID-19
and much more. You can link to the newsletter here and on our Newsletters page.
Read more on our blogsite here.
Our Advocacy Guide
If you are feeling overwhelmed by the complexities of the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) system in Massachusetts, or if you simply want more information about matters relating to the care of your loved ones in the system, we hope our Advocacy Guide can help. In it, you will find both tips and advice on care and services, eligibility issues, Individual Support Plans, guardianship, and other issues.
COFAR constructed this guide as part of our mission of providing advocacy information and advice to families and guardians of those with intellectual and other developmental disabilities, wherever they may live.
As of March 2016, we have updated the Guide to reflect changes in DDS regulations, and have added new information on issues ranging from guardianship to getting SSI and Medicaid benefits.
You can access the updated Guide by clicking here. We welcome your feedback!
COFAR is affiliated with The Wrentham Association, and nationally with VOR.